Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Celestial Hunters Stormraven

When it comes to aesthetics of miniatures people's opition tend to vary a lot. And this one right here is one of the most discussed space marines vehicle. I know a lot of people don't like the design, lack of functionality or maybe overall style of Stormraven but I always liked that boxy "Land Raider with wings" look. The only thing I decided to alter was the gun turret on top, original one was just hideous in my opinion, but then again some people might find the look of that turret appealing.






I decided to try heavier weathering on this model using Vallejo Chipping Medium, and I think it turned out pretty good, I can't decide if I want to use that technique more often now or just stick to a less weathered look that I chose for my previous miniatures, I think this wearhered and chipped paint looks great but sometimes I feel like it it over the top weathered. Please, tell me in the comments, what look would you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. I love the chip weathering you've done here. When you applyed the chipping medium, how thick were you with it? I've been meaning to use mine, but haven't quite figured out how thick to lay it on. (till it's glossy and tacky?) I'm always a huge fan of weathering, and I think it just depends on the type of force and backstory you are running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more medium you apply the more it comes off later when you apply water. As you can see here some parts of paint came off completely while on other parts of the hull weathering is more subtle. I tend to apply the medium randomly to create realistic chipping pattern. I think the layers were pretty tacky when I applied main layer of paint to the model, the parts that were covered with medium but didn't have that tacky and gloss feeling to them remained mostly intact when I applied water.

    ReplyDelete